It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 6:20 am

SA selection open to players abroad 
World XV Player

Post SA selection open to players abroad
No further restriction and it is suggested that De Klerk at Sale and Kolbe at Toulouse (I can understand that .. he's had a super Season there!) are on the blocks? Previously since 2015 players available were those with more than 30 caps (convenient to recall Vermulen, Habana, Steyn, Pienaar et al). Montpelier have a host of SA players.

May influence SA players choosing N Hemp country selection too? ...CJ Stander, van Flier(Ireland), de Preez (Sco) Le Roux (Fra) ...

This might deter Top14 Clubs from signing any more too :D

Mon May 14, 2018 12:33 pm
World XV Player

It's running into WC year. WC year was already declared an open year ... before this
On the cards ... don't know but also read the new coach Erasmus was in NH few months back and talked to some players on alignment with springbok selections
Confirmed talk with the ex-Steval Pumas Curie Cup th Vincent Koch at Saracens (which was SA owned) ... Koch got injured though and won't be available for the England June tests
De Klerk on the cards because SA lost experience with Fourie du Preez's retirement. Talk is of getting De Klerk as he brings some experience but then bracket him with a young gun in SA van Zyl at Bulls (if Quota allows) or Embrose Papier also at Bulls.
Duanne Vermeulen Toulon nr8 for WC year only (sort of a trump card thing)
Bismark du Plessis as standin for Marx injured for England tests
Patrick Lambie nr 10 England tests and WC
This is some of the names that's a definte

Thu May 17, 2018 4:46 pm
World XV Player

At nr15 looks as if new coaching is looking for some X-factor and possible SA Bulls Gelant
from overseas he can pick from Kolbe and also Willie le Roux in England
He is pressed on quota count because there are not many top black forwards and therefore Kolbe high in demand as he qualifies for the black % that must be met

Thu May 17, 2018 4:54 pm
World XV Player

Post Re:
Bokbefok wrote:
It's running into WC year. WC year was already declared an open year ... before this
On the cards ... don't know but also read the new coach Erasmus was in NH few months back and talked to some players on alignment with springbok selections
Confirmed talk with the ex-Steval Pumas Curie Cup th Vincent Koch at Saracens (which was SA owned) ... Koch got injured though and won't be available for the England June tests
De Klerk on the cards because SA lost experience with Fourie du Preez's retirement. Talk is of getting De Klerk as he brings some experience but then bracket him with a young gun in SA van Zyl at Bulls (if Quota allows) or Embrose Papier also at Bulls.
Duanne Vermeulen Toulon nr8 for WC year only (sort of a trump card thing)
Bismark du Plessis as standin for Marx injured for England tests
Patrick Lambie nr 10 England tests and WC
This is some of the names that's a definte

Vermulen is returning to SA isn't he? He's out of Toulon ?
Lambie has done well at Racing since a period of rehab after his HIA probs. Good value!
Bismark is ace at breakdown ... wins a lot that he shouldn't and bloody aggressive! He'll add bite to Boks... if he returns..

Thu May 17, 2018 6:44 pm
World XV Player

Post Re:
Bokbefok wrote:
At nr15 looks as if new coaching is looking for some X-factor and possible SA Bulls Gelant
from overseas he can pick from Kolbe and also Willie le Roux in England
He is pressed on quota count because there are not many top black forwards and therefore Kolbe high in demand as he qualifies for the black % that must be met

Kolbe is excellent value for money! Although small he's electric and elusive. He has been a real asset to Toulouse. A stand out player.

PS It is rumoured that Marx may go to Stade Francais, their billiomaire owner is spending big to revise their lost kudos. He has already spent millions in diverting players from other clubs eg 500k euros to divert Maestri who was going to La Rochelle and he paid that amount to La Roc just to divert the move....

Fri May 18, 2018 9:52 am
World XV Player

If Vermeulen is out of Toulon I am sure Erasmus will name him for England tests. Not sure his SA franchise. He initially started out as a Steval Pumas nr8 but was grabbed by Stormers who played Superrugby then Springboks then Toulon. Would most probably join the Stormers then as he was playing for them before leaving SA but no news on him here.
Marx confirmed to stay in SA. Mentioned as possible Springbok Captain as Erasmus is looking at for a Captain to be a young gun that is cemented in his position. Makes him a high on the candidate list. Has a Springbok contract
WC they will possibly bracket Bismark with him.
Kolbe an X-factor. Sort of player new coaching here is looking at
I would like Gelant bracketed with Kolbe/Le Roux
Jan Serfontein also in France mentioned as a possible candidate for inside centre
Good to see all on form in France ;)

Fri May 18, 2018 12:20 pm
World XV Player

Frans Steyn Montpellier also a possibility.
Is Jan Serfontein and Frans Steyn a centre combo at Montpellier?

Fri May 18, 2018 12:27 pm
World XV Player

Post Re:
Bokbefok wrote:
Frans Steyn Montpellier also a possibility.
Is Jan Serfontein and Frans Steyn a centre combo at Montpellier?

Bokb

Dumoulin is a French international centre
Romane also often comes on as sub at centre
This is the Montpelier squad (too many Boks ;) )

http://www.montpellier-rugby.com/effectif

They are No1 in league and now have primary spot and guaranteed home semi with Racing in the play offs

Toulouse, Castres, Lyon and Toulon play off this weekend to meet them in the semis

Fri May 18, 2018 12:52 pm
World XV Player

I know the Du Plessis brothers (Bismark), Ruan Pienaar and the centre combo. Most others not well known for me
Good t see the Dumoulin is giving them a run for their money in the starting XV
Will be on the lookout for the home semi on tv now thanx

Fri May 18, 2018 1:03 pm
World XV Player

Post Re:
Bokbefok wrote:
Quite a lot of SA' ers 11 :shock:
I know the Du Plessis brothers (Bismark), Ruan Pienaar and the centre combo. Most others not well known for me
Good t see the Dumoulin is giving them a run for their money in the starting XV
Will be on the lookout for the home semi on tv now thanx

2 recent examples of Mop teams:

as you can see, strong squad and does get rotated

Mischeviously I chose 2 defeats ;)

PS they are currently in trouble with the audit function DNACG for not achieving JIFF obligation and could face a fine of up to 400k euros and points reduced next Season

Fri May 18, 2018 1:38 pm
World XV Player

With Picomoles and Bismark in the oven the fire surely gets stoked ;)
On the adhoc teamsheets I saw a SA'er at 9 for Agen Enrico January :) Last saw him playing for the Springboks in 2019
Interesting how MP starting XV looks at 10 and centres (in the one game Frans Steyn was at 10 w. Dumoulin / Serfontein at centres.
SA'ers are just a couple French Huegenots returning (Du Plessis/Steyn/Pienaar etc.) few centuries later now that their land is seized without compensation ;)

Fri May 18, 2018 2:04 pm
World XV Player

Fri May 18, 2018 2:05 pm
World XV Player

Post Re:
Bokbefok wrote:
With Picomoles and Bismark in the oven the fire surely gets stoked ;)
On the adhoc teamsheets I saw a SA'er at 9 for Agen Enrico January :) Last saw him playing for the Springboks in 2019
Interesting how MP starting XV looks at 10 and centres (in the one game Frans Steyn was at 10 w. Dumoulin / Serfontein at centres.
SA'ers are just a couple French Huegenots returning (Du Plessis/Steyn/Pienaar etc.) few centuries later now that their land is seized without compensation ;)

Januarie is twice the size he used to be but has been a prime motivator for Agen's escape to stay in the Top14.

He's 36 now and slow but just seems to motivate the team.

Agen is lowest budget and good players get snapped up elsewhere quickly and this Season is not an exception many are leaving ..

They were once a top team with prime players e.g Sella et al .. and had won the French Championship 8 times.

I saw them win the Championship v Bayonne in 1982 when I worked in Paris. Had no idea then that 10 years later that I would be living permanently near Agen. ;)

Fri May 18, 2018 3:13 pm
World XV Player

Surprised to see Agen to be relative smallish Wiki : Popultion 33 620 (2011)
South , S/W is the heart of French rugby ... (my deduction MP)
If I ever have to return to my roots will be thereabouts

Fri May 18, 2018 3:34 pm
World XV Player

Post Re:
Bokbefok wrote:
Surprised to see Agen to be relative smallish Wiki : Popultion 33 620 (2011)
South , S/W is the heart of French rugby ... (my deduction MP)
If I ever have to return to my roots will be thereabouts

There are teams with quite low populations in french Pro rugby.

Bottom feeder Teams like Agen, Brive, Oyonnax suffer but teams like Castres, Pau, La Rochelle do relatively well and some extremely big conurbations like Stade Fran├žais are unsuccessful despite population size and budget.

There are 30 Pro Clubs in total and many in prodiv2 are smaller teams and clustered ...

Fri May 18, 2018 3:49 pm